Friday, September 16, 2011

Can I just say I love Biomed Central #OpenAccess

Well, I have given Biomed Central a bit of snarky grief the last few days over a few things. First, I posted about to my Posterous site (but not here) a little comment about how their web site looks weird in safari:
Then I posted to this blog a little ditty about how I did not like some parts of a phylogenetic tree they use in marketing:No award to give out but here are some lessons in using Google's image search to find an image source

My main complaint was the poor treatment of microbes in the tree. In that post I discussed how I used google image search to trace the tree



 to a few sites and discovered that they recognized it was a bit of a biased tree.  And I noted they had fridge magnets that had the tree and how I wanted one.



And, well, they have responded brilliantly.

Matthew Cockerill posted to my posterous site about how he was looking into the Safari issue and then, they fixed it (it was a font display issue).



And then today in the mail I received a gift and a note




The note reads ""We'll do justice to the microbial world one day".

Indeed.

I note, even without their responses, I truly love Biomed Central.  I published my first open access paper was published in a Biomed Central Journal, Genome Biology: http://genomebiology.com/2000/1/6/research/0011 and I have published quite a few articles in their journals including:


Biomed Central was THE pioneer for truly open access publications in biology and they are still doing great things.  I note in addition, they do a very good job covering microbiology not only in their general journals but also with specific microbiology focused journals including:


So it seems - you are already doing some justice to the microbial world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...